My friend Joel had his girls for spring break this year, and so did it. We decided to take our girls on a road trip and, thanks to AirBnB, ended a 14-bed ranch near Fredericksburg. We invited Claire’s best friend Susie along for good measure. So it was two dads and five girls, although I often referred to us as seven girls. 🤷🏻♂️
- Late nights (like 10 pm!) in the hot tub
- Fire pit and s’mores
- Hearty meals for seven, with ingredients bought from WalMart – spaghetti and meatballs, pancakes, cinnamon rolls
- A ride on the “mule” to see the neighbor’s baby goats
- Enchanted Rock. Molly and Maddie were the first up to the top! They won on pure enthusiasm, which the other girls lacked.
- The Pacific War Museum. I tried to squeeze in some short lectures on how crazy that war was and how cool Nimitz was, with only limited to moderate success.
- A fudge store that Maddie was constantly dying to go to. I got a chocolate-covered pickle, because what the hell?
- The girls’ definite favorite, Earthbound Trading Co, a New Age / hippie store. We came back at least three times. Claire ended up with a Himalayan salt lamp, a Ganesh, some ying/yang balls, and some polished stones totaling about $72. I admit I got three stones myself; those things were so dang smooth!
- Luckenbach, TX. This may have been a little too “country” for Claire, who wanted to get out of there for fear of being shot. From looking around, I think we were in greater danger of getting run over by a bicyclist. Or maybe cat allergies.
One thought on “Dads’ Spring Break”